I try to keep away from pretentious recipes titles but this describes the best this somewhat simple but very lengthy recipe. I did not had much time lately to cook, shoot or write about food but after eating pizza with coke on Saturday I decided to take some measures. So, I remembered a beef bone with meat I had bought a while ago which was perfect for the task.
- beef meat. I used a large bone with meat.
- red wine (4 cups)
- spices: 6-7 peppercorns, 2 bay leaves, 5 garlic gloves, thyme, 2 cardamom cloves (optional)
- 1 large carrot, 1 large potato
- a lot of patience
- I washed and dried the meat with a paper towel before searing it in 2-3 tbs of oil I heated well in a pan. It’s much more difficult to sear something like a bone than small pieces of meat so don’t panic if it’s not perfect
- Then I added 4 cups of wine, 4 cups of water and the spices. I did not add salt at this point and put everything on a medium flame to tender the meat. This can take a lot of time depending on the meat and it will require to complete with water from time to time. I tried to cover the whole bone in liquid but this was not always possible since it was quite big.
- The long wait is finished when the meat just falls off the bone. This happened after 4h for me around 02:30 :) so I called it in for the day
- Next morning I cut the carrot and potato and added to the pot for 30 more minutes until soft. Finally I added salt.
- Even if the bone was large there was not than much meat off if after all so I sadly realized there are no more than 2 small portions. But what portions, well worth the long wait.