As a pidgin user I am used at not expecting many fancy things but one of the features I’ve wished for some time is a plugin which updates the status automatically to the last entry in a RSS feed. As an example I’d like to update the status to the last post on my blog. So, even if I don’t like perl too much here is a simple plugin which does just that. It’s inspirationaly called: Status RSS :)
What does it do?
The plugin checks from time to time, (at startup or when the action is selected from the menu) the specified RSS feed, parses it and fetches the last entry. It then updates the current status with a message in the form: entry.title entry.link (yahoo format).
How to install it?
- First you need the XML::Feed package for Perl from CPAN. In ubuntu you can install the package: libxml-feed-perl.
- Make sure you have Perl support in pidgin. Check Help->About for perl:enabled.
- Download the archive. Copy the statusrss.pl to .purple/plugins. Create the plugins folder if it’s not there already.
- Restart pidgin then enable the plugin in Tools->Plugins menu.
How to use it?
- After enabling the plugin configure it by setting the RSS feed url and the refresh timeout. 0 means no refresh.
- For manual refresh go to Tools->Status RSS->Update Status
Pidgin 2.6 – 2.7.1 on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
This plugin is released under the GNU General Public License (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html)
in that plugin Need 2 realise multiple(more than 1) RSS in incoming messages, i think
Is there any chance of getting a windows binary (ie a DLL) for this?
I’m sorry, I don’t really use windows.
tested with pidgin 2.10.6 on debian wheezy It works fine. Good job! :)