This is a tasty Austrian dessert/main dish recipe. It’s mainly a form of dumpling filled with jam, boiled then served with vanilla sauce (check the romanian recipe here).
Ingredients (for 4 dumplings)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 25g melted butter
- 2 tbs sugar, 5g dried yeast, 2-3 tbs milk
- vanilla sauce
- poppy seeds, confectioners sugar
- all ingredients have to be at room temperature
- mix sugar, milk and yeast and let them rest for 5 minutes
- mix with the flour, egg, salt and butter, cover and let the dough rest for 30-60 min in a warm place
- start heating 2-3 l of water with 1/2 tbs of salt
- in the meat time cut the dough in 4 and from each piece meld a round ball with a teaspoon of jam inside. Make sure the ball does not leaks.
- when the water is boiling gently put the balls inside, cover and let them boil for 10 minutes. The balls will float, turn them on the other side once. In a medium size pot you will be able to boil only 2 dumplings at the same time as they expand about 200%
- drain and serve covered with vanilla sauce, poppy seeds and confectioners sugar